Only 6 days left in our Back-to-School Sale!
Editor’s Note: With the kids back-to-school, there’s more time to sew! From Sept. 6-15, we’ll be celebrating “back-to-school” season in a number of different ways — from ideas for sewing for children to inspiration for sewing for yourself!
As the kids discover all sorts of new things in the classroom this school year, why not introduce them to the wonderful world of sewing as well? If you have a child or grandchild who’s interested in learning to sew, this string of colorful rainbow bunting is the perfect project to introduce them to the craft! Featured in the book “Sewing for Kids” by Alice Butcher and Ginny Farquhar, it’s both fun and easy. The plain flags even give kids a chance to get extra creative by adding their own delightful drawings and designs!
What you’ll need:
• Cotton fabric in red, yellow, orange, green, light blue, indigo and violet, each piece 13-1/2 x 8 inches (34 x 20 cm)
• Plain natural-colored cotton fabric 40 x 8 inches (1 x 0.2M)
• 3/4-inch-wide (2 cm) cotton tape, 80 inches long (2M)
• Ivory Topstitching thread (for hand sewing) or polyester multipurpose thread (for machine sewing)
• Vanishing fabric pen
• Fabric pens or crayons
How to make it:
1. Fold a piece of colored fabric in half, pin on template A and cut out. Repeat to cut six more pairs of different colored flags and six pairs of plain flags.
2. Place the first pair of flags right (front) sides together. Place template B centrally inside the flag and draw on the stitching line.
3. Pin the flags together and sew by hand with a backstitch or using a sewing machine.
4. Trim the seam allowance at the tip of the flag to create a point. Turn the flag through to the right side and ask an adult to help you press (iron) it.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with all of your flags. Then use colored fabric pens to decorate the plain flags with simple drawings of rainclouds, the sun and rainbows.
6. Fold the cotton tape in half, insert the flags and attach with running stitch. Hang up and enjoy!
“Sewing for Kids” is a great resource for teaching kids basic sewing techniques and includes 17 fun projects! Get it now for only $4.65 during our Back-to-School Sale. Another wonderful resource for teaching kids to sew is Martha Pullen’s book “Sew Kool for Kids,” which is just $9.98!