Need a little summer sewing inspiration? Take a look at this adorable smocking plate designed by Michié Mooney, which was originally featured in our July/August 2006 edition of Sew Beautiful. With picture smocked sand pails stitched in colorful hues, it is pure summer fun! Follow Michié’s graph and instructions below to smock the sand pails on a design for your little one:
NOTE: Michié created the outfit shown here using her Creations by Michié Baby Playsuit #123 pattern, cotton print fabric and DMC Six-Strand Embroidery Floss in the following colors: #3805 dk cyclamen pink, #3806 lt cyclamen pink, #701 lt green, #703 chartreuse, #972 deep canary, #973 bright canary, #322 dk baby blue, and #414 dk steel gray.
- Pleat eight rows.
- Sand pails require 18 pleats each.
- Four strands of floss are used for sand pails and shovel handles.
- Three strands of floss are used for borders and top of shovel handles.
- Backsmock Rows 2, 3, 4 and 5 with two strands of floss.
1. Across Row 1 and with dk baby blue floss (#322), begin with an up cable; stitch the length of the row. With deep canary floss (#972), stitch one cable stacking with every other blue cable, according to graph.
2. Across Row 6 and with dk baby blue floss (#322), begin with a down cable; stitch the length of the row. With deep canary floss (#972), stitch one cable stacking with every other blue cable, according to graph.
1. Begin center sand pail six pleats to left of center as indicated by the black cable. Smock pail with dk cyclamen pink (#3805) and stripe with lt cyclamen pink (#3806).
2. Work bottom half of sand pail; turn fabric upside down and finish top half of sand pail.
3. Follow graph for the number of cables in each row, noting that some rows contain half cables.
4. On Row 4, begin left sand pail 34 pleats to left of center. Smock pail with deep canary (#972) and stripe with bright canary (#973).
5. On Row 4, begin right sand pail 22 pleats to right of center. Smock pail with lt green (#701) and stripe with chartreuse (#703).
6. Using three strands of floss, work all shovel handles in dk steel gray (#414) with a six-wrap bullion stitch.
We pray for the men and women serving our nation in harm’s way, and for each of you.
Much Love to You All & May God Bless,