Fall is officially here, and no autumn décor is complete without pumpkins! This cute Pumpkin Tea Towel project designed by Shannon Miller is easy to create using a hemstitched tea towel and a bit of French lace and hand embroidery. The pumpkin embroidery design was made from the line art of a design from Martha Pullen Company’s Shadowwork Fun & Fancy CD, and we’ve included the hand embroidery template here for you below. The template is also included in the centerfold of issue #126 of Sew Beautiful magazine.
- Pumpkin embroidery template (below)
- Purchased tea towel
- 1/2-inch wide lace insertion approx. 15 inches long
- 1/2-inch wide lace edging approx. 15 inches long
- DMC Six-Strand Embroidery Cotton (#608 bright orange, #3346 hunter green, #470 lt avocado green)
- Hand embroidery needle
- Monofilament thread
- Narrow line blue water-soluble marking pen
- Dye kit to dye lace orange
1. Dye lace following instructions provided with dye kit. Press with iron to set color. NOTE: Shannon made orange dye by mixing coral and yellow dye together and testing the color on small pieces of lace until she achieved her desired shade of orange.
2. Glue-baste lace onto tea towel.
3. Using a narrow zigzag stitch and monofilament thread, machine stitch lace to towel.
4. Mark pumpkin embroidery template onto towel using blue water-soluble marking pen. On sample, pumpkin is centered on towel approx. 1-1/2 inches above lace.
5. Using two strands of DMC embroidery floss, hand embroider pumpkin design onto towel using a stem stitch; use #809 bright orange for pumpkin; #3346 hunter green for stem and vines; and #470 lt avocado green for leaves.
6. Rinse towel to remove glue-baste and pen markings, let dry and press towel.
For more fall sewing fun, check out our festive September 2015 Internet Embroidery Club Pumpkin Designs.