If you’re looking for a beautiful, easy gift to make for a friend, these Christmas Rose Ornaments are just the ticket. Designed by Kari Mecca (karimeaway.com), the festive ribbon blooms first appeared in our November/December 2012 edition of Sew Beautiful and can be made quickly and easily using Whimsy Sticks and velvet ribbons. If you want to make the ornament part of a larger gift, try tying one on to a gift box as a decorative accent. Recipients will love getting a bonus – a keepsake ornament – with whatever is inside.
What You Need:
- 2 yards of 5/8-inch-wide velvet ribbon (for outer rose)
- 2 yards of 1/8- or 1/4-inch-wide velvet ribbon (for rose center)
- 7 inches of 5/8-inch-wide green silk or velvet ribbon (for leaves)
- 1 yard of 1/8- or 1/4-inch-wide green silk or velvet ribbon (for tie and hanger)
- Whimsy Sticks (2 inch for outer petals and 1-1/2 or 1 inch for center)
- Whimsy Tape (either size)
- Sewing thread to match ribbon
- Sewing thread to match green ribbon
- Hand-sewing needle
- Fabri-Tac craft glue (or long, sturdy needle if you prefer to stitch rolls together)
1. Wrap 1/4-inch-wide ribbon around 1- or 1-1/2-inch size Whimsy Stick (use 1-1/2 yards of ribbon if using 1-inch stick) (Photo 1). Place two strips of tape on both sides of stick, keeping center clear for stitching. Slide ribbon off stick and set aside to stitch later (Photo 2).
2. Repeat process and wrap 5/8-inch-wide ribbon around 2-inch Whimsy Stick.
3. Straight stitch in matching thread down center of both prepared ribbon wraps (Photo 3).
4. Remove all tape.
5. Apply a row of glue along stitching line of 1/4-inch-wide wrapped ribbon and roll up tightly (Photo 4).
6. Apply a row of glue along stitching line of 5/8-inch-wide wrapped ribbon and roll around 1/4-inch-wide ribbon roll like a jelly roll (Photo 5). Place a pin through end to secure temporarily; set roll aside. Trim ribbon ends even with loops if needed.
7. By hand, stitch or glue together ends of 7-inch-long piece of green ribbon to form a ring. Mark centers on each side for pinching leaves. Tack edges of ribbon together at these marks (Photo 6). Finger press ribbon flat to form points on each end.
8. Fold ribbon ring in half and place to stitching line of rolled rose.
9. Tie 1/4-inch-wide green ribbon around center of rolled rose, catching leaf ribbon at bottom (Photo 7). Pull tight and knot ribbon to secure center. Tie a bow with tails of ribbon to create hanger loop.
10. Spread out petals with your fingers to flatten rose on each side.
Be sure to check out our online store for more great resources from Kari Mecca!