Dear Sewing Family: Before I share my top 10 reasons you might want to join our first Online Serger Martha Pullen Licensed Teacher event, here are some basics to know. You will gain access on Oct. 30 when the course begins. Since several of the required projects are ones you choose, you will be creating your own supply list according to projects you choose. You will have nine required projects to make, photograph and upload to the Blackboard site on or before March 2, 2015. The videos will be available to watch and handouts will be available to download for two years from the end of the class.
1. Forever you will be a Martha Pullen Licensed Serger Teacher. This is a great educational credential. I have to tell you that for years dealerships have been telling me that they are screaming, screaming, screaming for serger teachers and serger classes. I think serger classes are totally in demand. You will be a licensed teacher with fabulous, fabulous classes ready to teach. Dealerships should be thrilled to know you are going to be ready probably by early next year to teach the “real Martha Pullen classes in their dealerships.”
2. You will have access to Kathy McMakin, Connie Palmer, Alicia Welcher and Peggy Dilbone, all great serger teachers, and you will share with the other students on the Blackboard format which is so much fun!
3. You are going to have “sew” much fun with us! Kathy, Connie, Alicia, Peggy and I spent a week in Ohio taping and taping this program. We share our special “things” we share when students are in Huntsville for classes. I promise these videos really share the “whole package” of love in a classroom. We knew we could teach great videos of techniques, but I promise everything “else” we do in Huntsville is there too. I never dreamed it could happen in an online curriculum but it did! At the end of the taping week I said, “I never would have dreamed that the ‘real’ licensing experience could have been done for online, but it did.” I was almost in tears that it really happened. It has everything, not just fabulous videos teaching the “how-to’s.”
4. You will get a curriculum of over 20 fabulous serger projects/lesson plans – professionally written and beautifully illustrated – from purses to quilts to garments to the “kitchen sink” as my Mama used to say!
5. You will have access to serger video lessons not only on how to construct these projects, but also on how to teach these projects.
6. This licensing is reasonably priced. This is a dream of mine because many people simply could not afford to travel to Huntsville to become a Martha Pullen Licensed Serger Teacher. It is about 80 percent less expensive than you would spend if you paid tuition to our Huntsville event, paid travel and other expenses.
7. You can use your “stash” fabrics for these serger kits. Some have written to me saying they even have a stash of zippers if necessary! All supplies are available at a local fabric store if you do not have any on hand. (But you probably do!)
8. Many people are getting financial co-sponsorship from a dealership to help pay for the class. In return the newly licensed serger teacher is committing to teach for a certain amount of time at that dealership to repay.
9. You will have access to our “how-to teach serger” videos. I share my best tips for successfully teaching sewing/serging of any kind! This is a very important part of every licensing event we have in Huntsville. There are many skills involved in being an excellent serging/sewing teacher.
10. You will enjoy watching our panel discussion with me, Alicia and Connie on how to build a local teaching business in local dealerships. Alicia and Connie have done this very successfully and they have shared many tips.