|Toni added black beads to the contrast black stitching to give this tote a touch of sparkle.|
Textile tote bags are always in style, and, with a little sewing innovation, they are very easy to make! The delightful tote pictured here was designed by Toni Duggar using a purchased placemat, purse handles, a zigzag stitch and some great trims. Follow the tutorial below to make your own tote to match an outfit, or just to whip up something whimsical with fun trims. Either way, you’ll be the envy of all your friends who don’t sew, or, better yet, use this tote as a great starter project to teach someone how to sew.
What you’ll need:
• Purchased placemat
• Purchased purse handle
• 1 yard of 1-inch silk satin ribbon for handle ties
• Quilting thread to match placemat
• Universal Size 90 or 100 Jeans needle
• Beads, fringe, buttons and trims that you like (optional)
• Permanent fusible web tape, such as Steam-A-Seam II™ fusible web tape, for applying trims (optional)
1. Adorn placemat with threads, beads or any embellishment you like. NOTE: If you plan to add fringe or beaded edging around the top, add this on the final step after construction is complete.
2. Stitch four 9-inch ribbon ties, or four 2-inch grosgrain ribbon loops to each end according to the width and style of your purchased handle (photo 1).
3. Fold placemat in half and butt side edges together. Using quilting thread, secure with a zigzag stitch, stopping about 1-2 inches from bottom. Stitch a thread bar tack at top and bottom of zigzag (photo 2).
4. Turn purse inside out and stitch across each corner where zigzag stitching ends (this will give the bottom corners of the purse a squared or boxed finish) (photo 3).
5. Add top edging by stitching (use bobbin thread that will match inside of purse), or attach securely with fabric glue, or permanent fusible web tape (test your fringe with the iron first).
6. Place purse handles on purse.
Visit our online store to discover more purse patterns and other fun projects!
Sew On, Sew Well, Sew Beautiful,
Cyndi and Amelia