With the holidays around the corner, many of us are thinking about what kind of special gifts we can make for our friends and family members this year. Of course, garments, linens and home decor items are always popular and well-received, but there are lots of other creative gifts you can stitch up as well. Our sister magazine, Stitch Craft Create, recently released a special edition devoted entirely to the concept of homemade gift giving. Below, we’ve shared photos of some of the fabulous projects this issue includes, as well as a list of other small project ideas to jumpstart your planning.
|Garter Mug Cozies (left) and Pretty Storage Pocket
|Men’s Custom Tie
|Bath Time Buddies (left) and Modern Stars and Stripes & Square Jack Pillow
|Girl’s Weekend at the Lake Quilt (left) and Garden Baby Bib
Small project ideas:
• Set of table napkins: Use several fabrics from your stash that play well together. Cut, hem tie with a ribbon and you’re done.
• Set of placemats: Same drill as with the napkins. You may want to line the mats to make them more substantial.
• Journal covers: Purchase journals and make fun covers for them.
• iPad/iPod/iPhone padded cases: Pad a case with washable batting and hand-stitch it sashiko-style.
• Pillows: Stamp, paint or stencil a design on canvas, then stitch the fabric into rounds, squares or bolsters.
• Throws: How about denim for the outer layer and a cozy lining of soft flannel?
• Basket: Make an outer cover and/or lining for a purchased basket. If you have time, sewing fabric strips together makes a unique quilted basket.
• Cuff/wristlets: Quick, but oh-so-fashionable. Denim scraps are great for a base.
• Canvas dog chew: Really simple! Cut and sew a bone shape, stuff and stitch. (A small, catnip-filled mouse is just right for a cat.)
• Pet collars: Only fabric scraps required. Embellish with ribbon and rickrack.
• Children’s pajama bags: How about a cat’s head with a flap in back to hang on the closet door?
• Child’s superhero cape: Appliqué a super-sized first initial for the hero!
• Sleep masks: Fill with a restful herb mix.
• Sewing-machine cover: For your friend who hasn’t discovered the dangers of dust.
• Chef’s apron: Perfect for your grillster.
• Pot holders: Everyone needs more of these.
• Holiday ornaments: Stuff and stitch shapes, adding a ribbon to hang.
For more great gift ideas, be sure to check out Stitch Craft Create Gifts 2013. Inside are tutorials for 50+ homemade gifts. With projects involving sewing, paper, jewelry, yarn and more, this will be your go-to issue to inspire a perfect gift for everyone on your list.
Sew On, Sew Well, Sew Beautiful,
Cyndi and Amelia