September is National Sewing Month, and there are so many ways we can celebrate. There’s, well, sewing, of course, but there’s also so much more — from learning something new, to sharing your love of sewing with others. Here’s our list of the top five things you can do in honor of this occasion:
1. Spruce up your space. Whether you have a grand sewing studio or a tiny corner in a room, you deserve a nice spot to create. Make something new for your space — either functional or decorative — or simply do a bit of organizing or rearranging. It’s sure to help you feel more creatively inspired as you sew. Here are a few FREE tutorials you may enjoy that will help you show your sewing space some love:
- Embellished and embroidered needle books
- Custom ironing board cover
- Round pincushion
- Log cabin pincushion
- Heirloom-inspired wall organizer
2. Treat yourself. A whole month devoted to your favorite hobby? What more excuse do you need to buy yourself some sewing goods? Treat yourself to some new patterns, books or other items. Use coupon code NSM18 at checkout to receive 20% savings storewide until September 30, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET. Some exclusions apply.
3. Share the love. Pass on your love of sewing to someone else. Maybe you have a friend who’s mentioned a time or two they’d like to learn how to sew, or even a child or grandchild. Or perhaps you’ve been thinking about teaching sewing in a classroom setting. Now’s the time to share the love with others!
4. Learn something new. Take your sewing skills to the next level with a sewing class. See what’s happening at your local sewing shop or plan to join our team at a live sewing event. Or, join us for an online sewing course or our NEW Sewing for Baby online licensing. Whether you’ve been sewing for years or you’re new to the craft, there’s always more to discover — and taking a class is bound to be a fun, rewarding experience.
5. SEW. Last, but certainly not least, simply take time to enjoy sewing this month. Make things for yourself and the people you love. Don’t stress about how many unfinished projects you have, or how many more things you want to make than you have time to make. Just have fun with it!
How are you planning to celebrate National Sewing Month? Let us know in the comments below!
A version of this blog was originally published on 9/12/17. It was republished on 8/29/18.